- What is Lineage OS?
- Lineage OS 16.0 Features
- Download Lineage OS 16 ROM for Google Pixel and Pixel XL
- Steps to Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel and Pixel XL
- Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel & XL
- Steps to fastboot flashing
- Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Google Pixel and Pixel XL
- To Conclude
Finally, Lineage OS 16 arrives for Pixel Devices! Good news for Google Pixel users! Finally, we got the Lineage OS 16 for Google Pixel & Pixel XL devices. This will be the first Lineage OS 16 build based on Android 9 Pie which is available for Google Pixel (sailfish) and Pixel XL (marlin). This post will help you to Download and Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel & Pixel XL
We already shared Android 9.0 Updates for Google Pixel devices. If you are interested in trying the LineageOS ROM and experience the stock features, then you can install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel & Pixel XL devices. This is an early build ROM, so the update may not be stable. Also, we can’t expect all Android P features on the device. So be patient till the next release!
The unofficial Lineage OS 16 for Google Pixel XL can be installed only on rooted devices. Unlock bootloader and install TWRP recovery on your Pixel phone. Make sure your device has the latest PIE vendor, radio and bootloader images. You can do that by fastboot flashing them!
Before that, so let’s see What is Lineage OS 16, Features of Lineage OS 16 and How to Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel, XL devices!
What is Lineage OS?
Lineage OS is an Open source OS based on Android. This Lineage OS ROM is used by lots of Android users. This Operating system belongs to the famous custom ROM Cyanogen Mod and it was first launched in the month of December in 2016. It built to support Android 8.x Nougat (Currently Android 9 Pie ROM), while ROM Kernel is Linux 3.10.x and the ROM is based on CyanogenMod.
The latest Lineage OS 16 for Google Pixel XL will be based on Android 9.0 Pie. And to Flash LineageOS ROM, you need Universal Bootloader and Modem packages.
Check out the list of Android Pie supported devices.
Lineage OS 16.0 Features
- New Animation/Transition
- Pixel launcher has been improved
- Battery saver no longer shows orange warning
- About phone screen now shows additional info in a popup window.
- Screenshot button in power menu
- Text selection zoom (like iOS)
- Battery saver can now be scheduled.
- Do Not Disturb has been simplified down to a single mode
- Volume buttons now control media volume by default
- Adaptive Brightness is now much more useful as it actually changes the base brightness level.
- Hotspot can be turned off automatically if no devices are connected.
- Rotation can be locked to landscape mode.
- Unlock Bootloader of Google Pixel and Pixel XL.
- Google Pixel and Pixel XL must be rooted.
- Install a TWRP custom recovery on Google Pixel and Pixel XL.
- Your device should have more than 50% battery charge.
- Make sure you have taken a backup of your important data.
- Need to fastboot flashing (Only when you don’t have the latest PIE Vendor)
Flashing custom ROMs will void your warranty and can brick your device if done wrong. Try on your own risk even!
Download Lineage OS 16 ROM for Google Pixel and Pixel XL
Just Download Lineage OS 16 for Pixel and Pixel XL (codename: sailfish/marlin) from the given link below. Also, download required tools to flash the Lineage OS ROM to Install Android 9 Pie on Google Pixel XL (Lineage OS 16).
|Download LineageOS 16 ROM for Google Pixel||Download Links|
|Download Lineage OS 16 for Google Pixel (sailfish)||Link (416 MB)|
|Download Vendor, Radio, & Bootloader IMG file||Link (289 MB)|
|Download Gapps for LineageOS 16||Link|
|Download LineageOS 16 ROM for Google Pixel XL||Download Links|
|Download Lineage OS 16 for Pixel XL (marlin)||Link (416 MB)|
|Download Vendor, Radio, & Bootloader IMG file||Link (291 MB)|
|Download Gapps for LineageOS 16||Link|
Steps to Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel and Pixel XL
Before you Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel and Pixel XL, make sure you’ve unlocked the bootloader and rooted the device. And also you need to have ADB Commands installed on your computer which we use in this installation process.
Let’s get started to Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel and Pixel XL device.
Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel & XL
- First, go to the Settings > About Phone. Tap on Build number for 7 times, until you receive the small message at the bottom saying you are already a developer.
- Now go back to settings home and you will find developer options.
- Click on developer option and then scroll down to OEM unlocking and then Enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging.
- Now connect your Mobile to the PC and go to ADB directory and issue the command ‘ADB reboot bootloader’ to boot your device into bootloader.
- Now in the command window type the following command ‘fastboot devices‘ This will display your device.
- Now use the following command ‘fastboot OEM unlock-go‘. This will unlock you devise Bootloader.
- After this reboot your device and go to Settings and developer options and again enable USB debugging.
Steps to fastboot flashing
- Download the Flash vendor, radio and bootloader.
- The flash them via ADB command,
fastboot flash --slot all vendor VendorFileName.img
fastboot flash --slot all radio RadioFileName.img
fastboot flash --slot all bootloader BootloaderFileName.img
Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Google Pixel and Pixel XL
- Once you do fastbook flashing, download the Lineage OS and Gapps from the above download section.
- Save those files on Internal storage of your device
- Turn off your device and boot it into Recovery mode by pressing Volume up button and power button simultaneously.
- Now in TWRP, create a Nandroid backup and do Factory Resent.
- To do Factory Reset, go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Wipe cache, Dalvik cache, System, and data and Swipe to confirm it.
- Return to the Main menu and click on Install.
- Now you will be asked to select the file.
- Locate the ROM zip file & swipe to Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel and Pixel XL.
- In a similar manner install the Gapps software.
- Once done and before rebooting, select Wipe and wipe cache & Dalvik cache.
- Reboot your device & you will notice LineageOS boot animation.
By performing the above method you can Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel/Pixel XL and you can have your hands on it. Hope everyone did it successfully. Do follow the steps carefully or else you can brick your device.
Got any questions while installing the Lineage OS 16 or facing any issues while trying to Install Lineage OS 16 on Google Pixel and Pixel XL, then do let us know in comments below.
Stay tuned for more updates on Lineage OS 16! Cheers 🙂
Via – XDA Forum